2012 was a good year for gifs. As you might recall from our previous post about working remotely, the lion’s share of our team’s communication happens in Campfire, where gif-giving (verb: the art of dropping a well-timed gif) has elevated itself to a fine art. It only seemed fitting, then, to poll the Product Team members to discover what our favorite gifs were for the last calendar year. We asked each member to select up to 10 of their favorite gifs that they saw in 2012, and these were the results:
[Note: we tried to keep these to gifs that were new to us in 2012.]
Click the image to turn the gif on and off
1. OTTER CUPS - Chosen by 60% of respondents
The office had a bit of an otter fixation towards the end of the year, so this gif taking the top spot is not at all surprising.
2. KISS CAM BEER - Chosen by 52% of respondents
Perhaps we liked this one so much because we could see ourselves in this lonely sportsball fan; sitting by himself, romancing his beer, while disgusting the woman beside him.
3. DEAL WITH IT BARF - Chosen by 40% of respondents
The “deal with it” gif meme is strong among our ranks, and this one is the belle of the “deal with it” gif ball.
4. ARGH MEIN ARSCH! - Chosen by 36% of respondents
It’s impossible to watch this gif and not yell out the title.
5. Five-way tie between CAT EPIPHANY // DAVID ROBINSON GETS PHOTO BOMBED BY LADY // COACH CAN’T FIND HIS POCKET // DOG TAKES FLIGHT // KEYBOARD CORGI
Lot of classics in here. The coach who can’t find his pocket gets me every time.
6. Six-way tie between ICE CREAM FACE // SLIDING DOGS // RUNAWAY ELECTRIC WHEELCHAIR // FLYING HORSE // POLICEMAN WAVING FLAG AND LICKING LIPS // DAT SHELL!
The licking policeman elicited schoolboy giggles throughout the office, but it’s tough to top the sheer unbridled emotion of DAT SHELL!
7. Three-way tie between SHAWSHANK EGG // CURLING GESTURES // JEDI VS. SANTA
Oh man… curling gestures… so good!
8. Five-way tie between TOP OF THE WORLD JUMP // BASEBALL HEAD FORCEFIELD // TWO PERFECTLY COMBINED GIFS // DRIVE-THRU DAIRY GRAB // BANE DANCE
Very few gifs have made me chortle and cry more than the baseball forcefield one. I’m sure it’s been photoshopped, but it’s still hilarious.
9. Ten-way tie between INVISIBLE MOTORCYCLE // MMA SIGN IN THE EAR // SOCCER KISS // WHAT YEAR IS IT?! // FACE MELT // DEER VS. RACE CAR // LIQUID POOL TABLE // SPIDERMAN SWINGS OUT OF CC’S BUTT // REFEREE DENIES SHOT // CAT CAN’T FIT IN BOX
If I was stuck on a deserted island with only a handful of gifs, nearly everyone of these would make the cut.
10. Seven-way tie between THE FIRE-JUGGLER’S FRIEND // BIG BALL BOUNCE DENIED // MARINE HATES TOUCHDOWN // GRANDMA SLALOM // HOCKEY FACE // FLY UNIBROW, FLY // IT’S JUST A LITTLE WATER
These were slim pickings, but there are still a couple good ones in this lot.
The first four were clear-cut winners, but after that things began to get a bit crowded. It just goes to show how much we love our gifs here at Vox.
If there’s some classics that we forgot, please feel free to leave them in the comments!
We’re building great things, and we need your talent! Check out jobs.voxmedia.com for our current job listings.